We adopted Sue (a boy – named Sue) a few months before we got married. For the past almost 10 years, he’s been with us through everything, 4 moves, constant changes, but he handled it all with the grace and dignity he always possessed. We walked miles, and miles, and miles together in 2 states and 4 homes – nothing could wear out our boy. He loved to swim (well, wade around in the water, more accurately!) and you couldn’t keep him out of the water or off the trail. City Park was his favorite – he had a longstanding vendetta against any and all geese, and was determined to make sure they watched their step and knew who was boss. And it wasn’t just the parks in our neighborhood. Sue was fascinated by Colfax, the shops, the people – he loved to go in any store that would let him. It was so adorable. And Denver being as dog friendly as it is, he was usually welcome, and usually got a treat too. He knew which businesses would give him a treat, and when we were out walking, we always joked Sue had to stop in and make his “collections.” Everyone always remarked how gently he took the treat from their hand, always careful not to hurt them. We took him anywhere and everywhere we could, and I’m so glad we have so many memories together. A favorite being when we were tent camping, a huge storm came through, and it was my husband, myself, and our 70 lb dog in a two person tent. Sue was not overly amused, but of course, got over it quickly.

About 7 weeks ago, we noticed him limping with a flank shaking – we were hoping it was maybe a pull, or a tear, something that could be fixed with surgery. We agreed we’d do whatever it took to get him back up to speed. Unfortunately, the diagnosis was osteosarcoma with about a month left. We were devastated, but determined to make the best of his time left. We spoiled him with all the treats and snacks he wanted, lots of walks (albeit shorter,) and lots and lots of love, through lots of tears. Eventually, he could hardly get around the block. We knew it was time; Sue loved his walks more than anything, and we didn’t want him to be confined and miserable, not to mention risk him hurting himself with a fracture. Calling Caring Pathways was so hard, but we’re so, so glad we did. Dr. Walters was simply amazing. We were able to say goodbye to him at home, on his favorite rug, surrounded by the people and things he knew and loved. I wouldn’t do it any other way.

Sue, my boy – I’d always thought we’d have more years together then we did, but, it wasn’t to be. You were a kind, gentle soul, only barking when you wanted in to be inside with us again, only chewing on your favorite bones, sweet to cats and little children, who loved to hug you because you were so fluffy and had the cutest teddy bear ears. You were my walking buddy and my constant companion when we first moved to Denver, we didn’t know anyone, and my husband had to work nights and weekends at first. It was just you and me, and I thank you so much for your companionship on our adventures. We miss you every day, and hope we made you as happy as you did us. That’s saying a lot. We love you, Bubby. Thank you for everything.